US secretary of state outlines vision for peace between Israel and Palestine weeks ahead of Donald Trump’s inauguration.
Residents of Israel and Palestine have expressed their thoughts on US Secretary of State John Kerry’s remarks and the UN’s recent resolution to stop Israel building settlements in occupied areas. Kerry issued a stern rebuke on Wednesday over Israeli settlements and warned that the two-state solution to the enduring conflict with Palestinians is at risk.
Summery of John Kerry speech in Washington, DC
– Israel’s settlement expansion in the occupied West Bank threatens both hope for peace with the Palestinians and Israel’s own future as a democracy.
– The settler agenda is defining the future in Israel. And their stated purpose is clear: They believe in one state
– If the choice is one state, Israel can either be Jewish or democratic, it cannot be both, and it won’t ever really be at peace
– No one thinking seriously about peace can ignore the reality of the threat settlements pose to peace. The problem goes well beyond just settlements. Trends indicate a comprehensive effort to take West Bank land for Israel and prevent any Palestinian development there.
– Today, there are a similar number of Jews and Palestinians living between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea, They have a choice. They can choose to live together in one state, or they can separate into two states.